In honor of the 2015 Harry Potter Read-A-Thon, every Monday, I’ll be posting an update here at Brewing Up Books as to my own reading progress, as well as a discussion that you’re more than welcome to continue onto your blog.
Before jumping into this week’s discussion, here is a potential schedule that you can follow that will help you stay on track and finish up the Read-A-Thon by May 31st:
- Feb. 1 – Sorcerer’s Stone
- Feb. 18 – Chamber of Secrets
- Mar. 1 – Prisoner of Azkaban
- Mar. 20 – Goblet of Fire
- April 13 – Order of the Phoenix
- April 28 – Half-Blood Prince
- May 1 – Deathly Hallows
Discussion – Albus Dumbledore – Insane or Ingenious?
For the majority of the series, Dumbledore is viewed as a source of knowledge and inspiration for Harry, helping him to address whatever problems may arise. In the wizarding world, he is perceived as one of the wisest individuals and holds numerous prestigious positions (and has been offered the position of Minister of Magic on multiple occasions, turning it down each time).
Despite his undeniable intellect, he does have several odd personality traits and a few outlandish ideas throughout the series. Are some of his more questionable comments and decisions enough to categorize him as insane, or are these flaws outweighed by his seemingly endless knowledge?
This week’s trivia game is a crossword puzzle of Harry Potter Spells, part 2 (see our last post for part 1). Each week, along with a discussion, there will be a trivia/puzzle component of our post, giving participants (and non participants) an opportunity to pit their Harry Potter knowledge against one another. When you think you’ve solved one of the weekly puzzles, type out your answers and email them to firstname.lastname@example.org
The first person to email us all of the correct answers will be featured in next week’s post, along with his/her blog and Goodreads account. Ready to test your luck?
*Disclaimer: the spell descriptions found in the clues were found on Wikipedia
6. silences something immediately
7. reveals the last spell cast by a particular wand
8. four-point spell which causes the tip of the caster’s wand to turn to the north
10. keeps nearby people from overhearing conversations
11. stunning spell
14. causes a blindfold to appear over the victim’s eyes
15. forces the victim’s legs to dance uncontrollably
16. violently wounds the target, as though it has been slashed by a sword
19. tickling charm
20. turns an object into a portkey
23. muggle-repelling charm
1. brings someone out of unconsciousness
2. forces someone or something to release that which it holds
3. body-bind curse
4. levitates objects
5. counter charm to lumos spell
9. defeats a Boggart
12. summons the dark mark
13. shield charm
17. makes a bouquet of flowers appear from the caster’s wand
18. makes an enlarged object smaller
21. causes conjured objects to attack
22. used to repair broken or damaged objects
24. removes a one’s memories