In honor of the 2015 Harry Potter Read-A-Thon, every Monday, I’ll be posting an update here at Brewing Up Books as to my own reading progress, as well as a discussion that you’re more than welcome to continue onto your blog.
I’m sorry for a few weeks of no discussion posts – school’s been a bit hectic, and I haven’t been able to find the time. But, it looks like I’ll be back on track moving forward!
Before jumping into this week’s discussion, here is a potential schedule that you can follow that will help you stay on track and finish up the Read-A-Thon by May 31st:
- Feb. 1 – Sorcerer’s Stone
- Feb. 18 – Chamber of Secrets
- Mar. 1 – Prisoner of Azkaban
- Mar. 20 – Goblet of Fire
- April 13 – Order of the Phoenix
- April 28 – Half-Blood Prince
- May 1 – Deathly Hallows
Discussion – Severus Snape: Friend or Foe?
“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”
― Sirius Black, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Severus Snape plays a fairly large role throughout Harry’s years at Hogwarts. From the moment they meet, Harry senses a strong sense of loathing eminating from his professor, who appears to find fault with his every action. However, on countless occasions throughout the series, Snape intervenes on Harry’s behalf, going so far as to save his life. For example: in the Sorceror’s Stone, he mutters the countercurse to the spell that Professor Quirrell places on Harry’s broom during a Quidditch match, preventing Harry from falling to his death; in the Order of the Pheonix, Snape informs Professor Umbridge that he has no remaining Veritaserum to use to question Harry; also in the Order of the Pheonix, Snape correctly interprets Harry’s coded message and calls the Order to the Ministry of Magic.
Conversely, Snape was portrayed in a very negative light on more than one occassion, repeatedly docking points from the Gryffindors, showing favoritism toward the Slytherins, doling out detentions, etc. Most notably, Snape kills Hogwarts Headmaster Albus Dumbledore in the Half-Blood Prince, invoking the wrath of many Potterheads. He also plays an integral role among the Death Eaters, personally corresponding with Lord Voldemort throughout the series.
What is your opinion about Snape? Is he a friend? Or is he a foe?
This week’s trivia game is a crossword puzzle related to locations mentioned throughout the series – these may be cities, private residences, specific room names, etc. Each week, along with a discussion, there will be a trivia/puzzle component of our post, giving participants (and non participants) an opportunity to pit their Harry Potter knowledge against one another. When you think you’ve solved one of the weekly puzzles, type out your answers (or scan/take a picture of them) and email them to firstname.lastname@example.org
The first person to email us all of the correct answers will be featured in next week’s post, along with his/her blog and Goodreads account. Ready to test your luck?
Click to enlarge:
3. Bus a purple, triple-decker bus that transports wizards in need
4. the town located near Hogwarts where students with a permission form are allowed to visit on designated weekends
5. of Requirement this area changes drastically to suit an individual’s needs and is utilized as a practice area for Dumbledore’s Army
6. Pitch the arena where sporting events and practices are held
8. Hollow Harry’s birthplace
10. Cauldron an inn where Harry stays in the Prisoner of Azkaban after an exciting ride on the Knight Bus
11. Forest an out-of-bounds area at Hogwarts that is home to centaurs
13. Hall the location where meals are served
14. the place where Hermione dedicates the majority of her time to studying
18. Alley a frightening street where Harry accidentally finds himself after selecting the wrong fireplace when traveling by Floo Powder
20. the school attended by Harry, Ron, and Hermione
21. Alley the street where most Hogwarts students shop for their school supplies for the upcoming year
23. all potions lessons are held here, and Professor Snape’s office is rumored to be located here
24. of Dean the wooded area where Harry and Hermione camp out during the Deathly Hallows
26. Cottage home to Bill and Fleur after their marriage; located on the sea
27. Room the location of a proposed duel between Harry and Ron in the Sorcerer’s Stone
28. the school attended by Viktor Krum
1. the joke shop in Hogsmeade
2. Willow has a secret passageway beneath its roots which was discovered by Harry, Ron, and Hermione in the Prisoner of Azkaban
4. Hut the home of the Hogwarts groundskeeper
7. of Magic home to the Minister of Magic and various divisions, such as the Aurors
9. Wizarding Wheezes the joke shop opened and operated by Fred and George
12. Lake the location of the second task of the Tri-Wizard Tournament
15. the school attended by Fleur Delacour
16. Head the pub operated by Aberforth in Hogsmeade
17. Tower the tallest point in Hogwarts; the location of Dumbledore’s ultimate death
19. Burrow home to the Weasley family
22. Harry finds himself here after several Quidditch injuries
25. Broomsticks the pub operated by Madame Rosmerta in Hogsmeade; known for its Butterbeer