We’ve decided to introduce a new weekly meme here at Brewing Up Books…Sunday Stumper! Each Sunday, we’ll be posting a literary based challenge, puzzle, game, etc. that can be downloaded on a computer, tablet, or smartphone (or even printed out). The following week, we will post the correct solution to the puzzle, along with a new one. You can complete the puzzle at your leisure throughout the week, and, if you manage to finish it, you can email it to us (email@example.com) for a chance to be featured! The first person to correctly complete the puzzle and email it to us will have their blog or Goodreads account featured on our sidebar and will also be mentioned in our Sunday Stumper post the following week.
The puzzles will vary from week to week, potentially consisting of crossword puzzles, matching, fill-in-the-blank (with or without a wordbox), word searches, etc. We have determined weekly topics for our Sunday Stumper, which can be viewed here. If you’re interested in posting a Sunday Stumper on your blog, you’re more than welcome to! Please just remember to link back to Brewing Up Books!
If you have any ideas/suggestions/improvements, please leave them in a comment below. We’d love to hear what you think!
For our twenty-sixth Sunday Stumper, we’re focusing on quotable quotes, those literary quotes that everyone seems to recognize. We’ve created a crossword puzzle to correspond with this week’s stumper, so simply identify the book or series that corresponds with each quote to successfully complete the puzzle. Good luck, and may the odds be ever in your favor!
(click to enlarge)
2. “Most men and women will grow up to love their servitude and will never dream of revolution.”
3. “It is a truth universally that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.”
4. “One must be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
5. “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.”
6. “In spite of everything, I still believe people are really good at heart.”
11. “I wondered if that was how forgiveness budded; not with the fanfare of epiphany, but with pain gathering its things, packing up, and slipping away unannounced in the middle of the night.”
12. “What fresh hell is this?”
13. “Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”
14. “There are darknesses in life and there are lights, and you are one of the lights, the light of all lights.”
15. “Every one suspects himself of at least one of the cardinal virtues, and this is mine: I am one of the few honest people that I have ever known.”
16. “Do not pity the dead… Pity the living, and, above all those who live without love.”
17. “Like Olympic medals and tennis trophies, all they signified was that the owner had done something of no benefit to anyone more capably than everyone else.”
18. “Marley was dead as a doornail.”
19. “To be, or not to be- that is the question.”
1. “Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit ’em, but remember it’s a sin to kill mockingbird.”
7. “Stay gold, Ponyboy, stay gold.”
8. “And so we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
9. “My dear, I don’t give a damn.”
10. “As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.”
11. “Already the boy with the bread is slipping away from me.”
Last Week’s Winners
There were no winners from this past week, but there’s always a chance that you could be a lucky winner for next week! Just make sure to email us your answers (firstname.lastname@example.org).