In order to start 2016 off with a bang, we decided to put ourselves to the test and sign up for a few year-long reading challenges. After all, how else would we be kicking off the new year?
The first challenge that I’ll be partaking in is the Rock My TBR Challenge hosted by Sarah @ The YA Book Traveler. The purpose of the challenge is to read a designated number of books from your TBR pile each month. I am setting my goal of reading 5 books per month that have been on my TBR pile for 1+ years. I’ll be using the #RockMyTBR on all social media while participating in this challenge, and I’ll continually be searching for fellow readers and bloggers to participate in buddy reads, so keep an eye out for that! If you would be interested in joining me for a buddy read within the next several months, you can view my TBR pile here and either message me on Goodreads, leave a comment below, or send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
My second challenge is the 2016 Reading Challenge hosted by Anne @ The Modern Mrs. Darcy (whose blog I am completely obsessed with – you should definitely stop by!). The goal is to read a total of twelve books throughout the year, with one book satisfying each of the twelve categories listed in the graphic above. Here are the books that I am planning to read in order to complete this challenge:
- Book Published This Year: Lady Midnight, by Cassandra Clare
- Book You Can Finish In A Day: Go Set a Watchman, by Harper Lee
- Book You’ve Been Meaning to Read: Shatter Me, by Tahereh Mafi
- Book Recommended to You by Your Local Librarian/Bookseller: Cress, by Marissa Meyer
- Book You Should Have Read in School: Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo
- Book Chosen for You by Spouse/Partner/Sibling/Child/BFF: Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon
- Book Published Before You Were Born: Phantom of the Opera, by Gaston Leroux
- Book That Was Banned at Some Point: The Perks of Being a Wallflower, by Stephen Chbosky
- Book You Previously Abandoned: Game of Thrones, by George R.R. Martin
- Book You Own But Have Never Read: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, by April Genevieve Tucholke
- Book That Intimidates You: The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexandre Dumas
- Book You’ve Already Read at Least Once: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, by J.K. Rowling
My third challenge is the 2016 Finishing the Series Challenge which is hosted by Bea @ Bea’s Book Nook. I’m extremely excited for this challenge because, as the title suggests, its goal is to complete as many series as possible throughout the upcoming year. I’ve decided to enter as a Level 4 Expert Series Reader, which requires me to finish a minimum of seven series.
And last but not least, I’ll be participating in the annual Goodreads Reading Challenge. This year, I set my goal at 100 books, but this may gradually increase throughout the year depending upon how I am doing.
I’ve decided not to do too many challenges this year, because I already know I won’t get too much time to read, but here’s two that I am doing:
The Goodreads reading Challenge. I mean yeah, this is probably a bit of a no brainer but IT IS A CHALLENGE! IT COUNTS! My goal this year is 50 books, which I know isn’t that much but hey. Uni life is stressful.
I’m even worried that I might have to lower this goal later in the year, because I realised I’m probably spending my 4 month summer holidays working full-time instead of part-time so YAY. We’ll see though!
The Popsugar 2016 reading challenge. I really like the idea of this challenge, and even though I’m like 99% sure I won’t complete it (hell, I probably won’t even read 40 books), I’m gonna try my best. I don’t have specific books picked out for this challenge, I’ll just cross things off as I go along!
What books are you looking forward to reading this year? What are some of the challenges that you’re participating in throughout 2016? Include a link to your introductory post, and we’ll be sure to drop by!