What is a beta reader? Will it give me flashbacks to my high school English teacher who had an infatuation with red pens and seemingly despised blank spaces?
A beta reader is generally an individual who is well-versed in literature and has experience reading and reviewing books from a given genre. Their primary purpose is to provide feedback on an author’s work prior to publication, addressing a variety of criteria from characters and relationships to plot and pacing. Instead of serving as an editor and meticulously correcting every improper comma placement, beta readers look at the larger picture, providing critiques on the novel as a whole from a reader’s perspective.
What genres do I accept?
- Historical Fiction
- New Adult
- Science Fiction
- Young Adult
What genres do I not accept?
- Christian literature
- Picture books
What will be included with a standard beta read?
- Overarching commentary on characters and their development, plot, pacing, setting, themes, etc.
- Identification of perceived areas of both strengths and weaknesses throughout the work
- Feedback regarding any specific areas of concern that you highlight in our initial communication
What are my requirements/guidelines?
- You must be willing to send me the book in its entirety – I will not accept an incomplete draft, individual chapters, etc.
- I will not beta read the second, third, fourth… book in a series without having read the first installment.
- I will not proofread your work (ie. provide commentary on your grammar, spelling, etc.). If you would like these areas addressed, it will require the services of an editor.
- Payment is required in full before I will begin to read your work.
How does pricing work?
I charge $2.25 (US dollars) per 1,000 words. All payments are accepted solely via PayPal. If I have worked with you in the past, you will receive a 15% discount.
What is the turnaround time?
My standard turnaround time is approximately 10-14 days. If you require my feedback sooner, you must notify me in your initial email. An additional rush fee of $50 will be added to your total.
What formats do you accept?
I ask that all books be sent as either a Word document or a PDF file as both formats allow me to annotate your work directly.
How can I contact you to arrange a beta read or to attain additional information about your services?
Send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with some additional information about your manuscript (length, summary, etc.).